Friday, May 28, 2010

What Would You Recommend? - Wheel Of Time & Robert Jordan

This is a question I get asked all the time working in the bookstore: "What would you recommend for somebody who loved "_________"? (fill in the blank)" Usually I can come up with something, but that something can be a bit of a wild guess if it's not a book or genre I normally read. This is where you helpful people come in. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

The Wheel of Time is a massive series, something like twelve books and still going strong. As a result, I'll admit that I'm a bit intimidated by the thought of re-reading the books. But, I know a lot of people love Jordan's books, and now most of them have finished The Gathering Storm, they're waiting for the next book as written by Brandon Sanderson.

What I've been recommending (based on what people have been asking for at the bookstore) for fans of these are the George R. R. Martin A Song Of Ice And Fire series, which begins with A Game Of Thrones, and also the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series (which, I think was made into a T.V. show last year). Some people really like the latter series, and others can't stand it.

How do Steven Erikson's books stand up? Would they be a suitable recommendation for Wheel of Time fans? I know that his books are quite popular right now, but, again, I haven't read any of them. If not Erikson's books, then what other books are out there?

So, What would you recommend?

2 comments:

Chad Hull said...

I stopped reading the wheel of time around book six or seven, but I think your suggestions are apt. So many people are fans of Jordan it's hard to finger something suitable for all, but if someone is asking for a suggestion I'd be inclined to think they are more of a 'fantasy reader' as opposed to the person who would buy the next wheel of time book if it is out but if not has a million other things in mind to pick up.

For the person the asking for a suggestion I think any non-terminating fantasy series by a living author should do.

Elena said...

Which is where I run out of ideas after the George R.R. Martin books, the Sword of Truth series and perhaps the Steven Erikson books. And typically, they've already read at least one of the above if not all of them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...