Saturday, May 1, 2010

Pre-Printing Press Challenge - My Reading List (2010)

Last year I was a bit ambitious in my attempt to complete my own challenge, so this year's Pre-Printing Press Challenge reading list is as follows:
  1. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight/Pearl/Sir Orfeo - Ed./Trans. J.R.R. Tolkien
  2. Herodotus: The Histories
  3. The Life of Christina of Markayte.
  4. The Chronicle of the Abbey of Bury St. Edmunds by Jocelin of Brakelond
I will either change the list or add to it as I get the reading done.

3 comments:

J.G. said...

I'm eager to hear what you think of the Tolkien translation. I'm partial to him because of LOTR and my respect for his scholarship, but have no idea if it's the "best" one. Whatever that means. :-)

J.G. said...

Here's my slightly sketchy list:

http://hotchpotcafe.blogspot.com/2010/05/just-one-more-challenge-then-ill-stop.html

Elena said...

I can tell you why I like it right off. I've read parts of Tolkien's Sir Gawain and the Green Knight before.

He's managed to maintain the alliteration and the rhyme scheme in English. Some of the other one's I've seen (including the facing page translation used as a textbook) didn't try all that hard.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...