Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Moon Called - Patricia Briggs

Moon Called
Patricia Briggs
Ace Fantasy
Copyright: 2006
9780441013814

From the back of the book:
Werewolves can be dangerous if you get in their way, but they'll leave you alone if you are careful. They are very good at hiding their natures from the human population, but I'm not human. I know them when I meet them, and they know me too.

Mercy Thompson's sexy next-door neighbor is a werewolf.

She's tinkering with a VW bus at her mechanic shop that happens to belong to a vampire.

But then, Mercedes Thompson is not exactly normal herself... and her connection to the world of things that go bump in the night is about to get her into a whole lot of trouble.

Yes, this is a re-read of a book I read and reviewed last year. My original review is here. I have to say I loved reading Moon Called as much this time as I did last time. Admittedly, I'd forgotten a whole lot of the plot so events were surprising to me, as though I was reading it for the first time again.

I still think the characters are interesting and compelling, flaw, quirks and all. Mercy Thompson is an interesting character, and the world Patricia Briggs has created for her is interesting and coherent. It's rather neat seeing a world where some things are still secret, but others are coming into the open. Generally it's more of an "everything is hidden" or "everything is known about and has been for some time". The problems they're facing seem to work as well: racism, bigotry and the like.

Even having read Moon Called before, I found that the mysterious plots, twists and turns kept me enthralled late into the night (when I finally finished the book). Honestly, the Mercy Thompson series is my favorite urban fantasy series. I can't recommend the books enough.

7 comments:

LibraryGirl said...

I really like this series as well :-)

I'm sure I've forgotten a ton of things that happen in the books though. It seems the more I read, the less stays in my head! lol

Natasha said...

Great review. I agree with you 100%. It's a great book huh?
I love the whole series and cannot wait for Silver Borne to be released. It's going to be good!

Elena said...

Thanks for the comments Angela and Natasha.

I know what you mean, Angela. It's happening more and more, too.

I'm waiting for Silver Borne as well. Re-reading now because I just got my hands on Bone Crossed.

Anonymous said...

I love this series and they only get better as they go along. I really must read the second Anna and Charles book. Have you read them too?

Elena said...

Alpha And Omega and Hunting Ground? Yes I have, and the reviews are up here under the Patricia Briggs tag.

Hunting Ground's great, btw. It's also allowed me to set a time for those books. They seem to be between Moon Called and Blood Bound.

Thanks for commenting, Rhinoa

Sarah said...

Great review Elena, I've still only read the first book but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the series! I've added your link to my review :o)

Elena said...

Thanks, Sarah. Hope you enjoy the others just as much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...