Monday, January 2, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? January 2, 2012

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted each Monday over at One Person's Journey Through A World of Books. Thanks Sheila and here's hoping you have a Happy New Year.

Since the last time I posted, I've finished reading:

Empire From The Ashes by David Weber. Fiction. Science Fiction. An omnibus edition of Mutineer's Moon, The Armageddon Inheritance and Heirs of Empire. I really enjoyed the first two books, but the third one was not really my favourite. I found it too reminiscent of the Safehold series - an almost identical religious structure really, although I think this is the earlier book. There was one neat moment near the beginning of the whole book though, where Colin is thinking to himself: "Perhaps someone always has to give up the things he knew and loved to save them for others." Instantly that reminded me of Frodo Baggins' words at the end of the Lord of the Rings.

I'm currently reading:
Rivals for the Crown by Kathleen Givens. Fiction. History. Set in the 12th century Scotland and England, this novel covers the same events as The Temple and the Crown by Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner Harris from a different perspective. E-book.

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. Fiction, History. I've finally got my hands on this one and I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'm planning to read:
Some of Katherine Kurtz's Adept novels. I've got that weird thing going where I have little snippets running through my mind from some of these right now.

7 comments:

Ellie said...

I just saw a review for the sequel for Shanghai Girls (wish I could remember whose blog it was on, the cover was rather pretty).

Elena said...

It is a beautiful cover, isn't it, Ellie. I have Dreams of Joy which is why I wanted to read Shanghai Girls so badly.

Thanks for commenting.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I had to go look up the Shanghai Girls so I could see what you guys are talking about. You could at least have posted it.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I think I have Shanghai Girls on the shelf... I need to read that one :)

Elena said...

So far it's been quite good, Sheila. Not as good as Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, but good nonetheless. I'm only a hundred pages in so far, so lots of book to go still.

Thanks for stopping in with a comment.

Anonymous said...

I know Shanghai girls is on my wishlist :)

Wishing you a great reading week!

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

Elena said...

Bookdout, it was on mine for a while too. Especially after I got a copy of Dreams of Joy. Thanks for stopping in with a comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...