Thursday, January 12, 2012

Booking Through Thursday - Interview

Or, actually titled this week Interview part 2, but I didn't participate last week. Booking Through Thursday is a fun little thing that always has something to do with books and reading, even if only tangentially.

This week's question(s):
But enough about interviewing other people. It’s time I interviewed YOU.
1. What’s your favorite time of day to read?
Any time of the day I can manage it. Usually not first thing in the morning though - that's computer time to catch up on what's happened with my blog since the day before. On my breaks at work though, definitely.

2. Do you read during breakfast? (Assuming you eat breakfast.)
Sometimes I read, but not normally anymore. Breakfast is typically eaten in front of the tv, or occasionally at the computer.

3. What’s your favorite breakfast food? (Noting that breakfast foods can be eaten any time of day.)
That's a hard one to answer. I'm going to say either eggs or pancakes.

4. How many hours a day would you say you read?
One to two hours, I guess. Though I wish it were more a lot of the time.

5. Do you read more or less now than you did, say, 10 years ago?
Definitely less.

6. Do you consider yourself a speed reader?
Probably not. A fast reader, yes, but not a speed reader. And even that depends on the book I'm reading.

7. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Not something I've ever thought about really.

8. Do you carry a book with you everywhere you go?
More or less, yes. Definitely to work, and sometimes when I go elsewhere too. Almost certainly if I'm on my own.

9. What KIND of book?
Usually fiction (science fiction, fantasy or paranormal romance are typical). Other than that, does an e-book reader count?

10. How old were you when you got your first library card?
Pretty young, I think. Definitely a kid - I remember getting the Saddle Club books and the Thoroughbred series out on a regular basis.

11. What’s the oldest book you have in your collection? (Oldest physical copy? Longest in the collection? Oldest copyright?)
I'm just guessing here really but these are what I think the answers are:
For oldest physical copy, I suspect the answer is the Early English Text Society edition of the Ancrene Wisse edited by Tolkien.
Longest in the collection might be something like my copy of The Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton - I vaguely remember that book being read to me as a little kid.
Oldest copyright: I can't even guess. I've got copies of the original Nancy Drew novels, Cherry Ames etc, but also A Little Princess and The Secret Garden in my collection. There might be some others too.

12. Do you read in bed?
Of course! That's one of my favourite places to read.

13. Do you write in your books?
Not usually. Except in the cases of my old textbooks. Those ones I can bring myself to underline, and occasionally add margin notes - always done with a mechanical pencil! Interestingly, I'm finding that this little quirk doesn't hold true when it comes to e-books. Those I'm highlighting and adding notes all over the place in.

14. If you had one piece of advice to a new reader, what would it be?
Don't get discouraged. If a book isn't catching your interest and it's not required reading for some reason, feel free to put it down and try another book. Sometimes you'll come back to the book you put down and find yourself loving it later.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...