Saturday, September 28, 2013

Learning to Sew - What Would You Recommend?

A couple of weeks ago, I realized how many things I have that need hemming, hem repair, new zipper or elastic replacement and how much that would cost to get done. More than a basic sewing machine would cost, and I remember my Mom teaching me a bit on her old Singer. So, I jumped in and bought myself an inexpensive sewing machine, deciding on the Singer 2259 Tradition, based on the reviews I saw on Amazon.com.

However, I didn't get that one right away. Looking around at Canadian Tire, I saw a slightly more basic model of Singer on the shelf, so I bought it. Through no fault of the sewing machine itself, I returned it untried. Obviously someone else before me had bought and returned it - minus some of the parts.

So, after returning it, I looked at my local Michaels craft store on a whim - their website said nothing about sewing machines. Guess what was on the shelf? The Singer 2259 I'd been looking at and trying to figure out how to order.

Got it home, and all the parts were there, the manual was clear and easy to read and I could get started with it right away. Following the instructions for how to thread both the bobbin and the machine itself was simple. In fact, it was almost as though Mom was standing at my shoulder pointing out what to do next - and it's been more than fifteen years I think since she showed me how to use her sewing machine.

However, it's not as easy as all that. I can run the machine, but I don't really know how to do things with it yet. Despite that, I managed to put a sort of a hem on one pair of pants.

So, the next challenge is to learn how to use the sewing machine properly. I found one neat looking book, and I'm finding more interesting looking things in it as I look at it properly; techniques for hand and machine sewing, 'workshops' for different projects etc. There are some downright useful ideas in the book too.

However, as excited as I am to see what I can do with my new acquisition, it's going to have to wait until I have more time. Maybe closer to the end of next month.

In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions for learning to use a sewing machine?

I do know this, my list of "hey, I could do that" projects and ideas is getting longer, despite not having a clue how to start.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...