Friday, January 28, 2011

What Would You Recommend? - Jack Whyte and Conn Iggulden

This is a question I get asked all the time working in the bookstore: "What would you recommend for somebody who loved "_________"? (fill in the blank)" Usually I can come up with something, but that something can be a bit of a wild guess if it's not a book or genre I normally read. This is where you helpful people come in. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.


A while back I was reading the Conn Iggulden books about Genghis Khan. Both Wolf of the Plains and Lords of the Bow were reviewed here last year. Based on those two books I've been recommending Jack Whyte's books, both The Skystone and sequels and the Templar trilogy (which begins with Knights of the Black and White).

I have not yet read Conn Iggulden's Rome books about Julius Caesar though. Even so, I think that the two authors are a good match in terms of writing style. What I don't know however, is who else to recommend. A lot of the time people have already read both authors.

What would you recommend?

2 comments:

Anassa said...

I haven't read either author (yet) so can't recommend from experience, but at work I (and others) tend to recommend Guy Gavriel Kay and Simon Scarrow for the historical fiction crowd. Possibly also Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

Elena said...

Most of the folks I get seem to have already read Pillars of the Earth, but thanks for the reminder that it's there to recommend. I've seen Simon Scarrow's books, but haven't looked into them at all. Will definitely have to check those out soon. Thanks for the recommendations, Anassa.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...