Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Life After 187 - Wade J. Halverson

Life After 187
Wade J. Halverson
Xlibris
Copyright: 2009
978144154026

Blurb from the website:
Sentenced to life in prison when he executes the men who murdered his wife, Kane Silver is singled out by the warden for his fighting ability. Along with inmates Valentino Lopez and Si’Ling Lee, Kane is drafted into service and forced to fight for money in high-stakes tournaments. But when the three friends escape during a New Year’s Eve match in Lake Tahoe—saving the warden’s life in the process—their situation becomes more complicated.

Their status undetermined, they vanish underground and sign on to help a young woman whose parents are being held by an Argentinean drug kingpin. Follow Kane and his friends as they compete and grow closer while rediscovering what it means to be free. From Lake Tahoe and the western United States to Costa Rica, Hong Kong, Buenos Aires, and Thailand, Life After 187 takes readers on an exhilarating ride filled with big money, intense action, justice, and the pursuit of honor.
 I was asked back in November to read and review this book, and I gave it a good start then, really enjoying it. The only reason that it's taken me this long is that I lost the book temporarily during my big move last month.

Even reading the first half a second time didn't affect my enjoyment at all. I will note that this isn't my usual type of reading at all, and I'm not a hundred percent sure how to categorize the book. It's violent (my memory totals up about eighteen fight scenes), but compelling.

The main character is in prison for murder, and yet, I found that I had to like him - mostly because I could understand his reasons. But so much of the rest of the world he inhabits is corrupt. The situations Kane Silver is in almost from the time he enters prison almost seem to be too much to believe. Open fighting at parties, bribes. I can understand the underground nature once he escapes, but at the beginning? The one other thing that pushed a bit beyond my belief was the way every woman Kane met fell into his bed immediately.

Still, whether or not the book pushes your bounds of belief, it's an exciting, quick read. The descriptions are concice and vivid, as is the action. There are a lot of fights, but they do provide insight into the characters.

Overall, I liked reading this book and I'm more than glad that I was offered the chance.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...