Library Loot is hosted each week by Marg of Reading Adventures and Eva of The Striped Armchair. It's a neat way of discovering new books that look interesting, to see what other people have borrowed from their local libraries.
I don't have any new books out this week, just the same two from last week: The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran and Graceling by Kristin Cashore.
However, Marg has posted an interesting meme I thought I'd like to do, all about library usage.
Library Habits Meme:
(1) If you don’t frequent your local library, why not?
Of course I do. Unfortunately not all of my 'local' libraries anymore though. One of them lost my card from their system, and just isn't convenient. Generally it's the two closest libraries I go to.
(2) If you do visit the library, how often do you go?
Whenever I have to return books, have a hold in, or if they have a particular book I want to read. Every couple of weeks, really. If I don't have any books out at any point I can go for a long time though without getting new ones out.
(3) Do you have a favorite section that you always head to first, or do you just randomly peruse the shelves?
I'm usually there for specific books, so it's directly to either the section in question (mostly the fiction shelves), the catalog computer (if I haven't already checked from home), or the holds shelves. However, once I've found my book of choice, I'll usually poke through the "New Books" shelf or the paperback science fiction/fantasy racks.
(4) How many books are you allowed to check out at one time? Do you take advantage of this?
I have no clue what the maximum is. Obviously I don't come close to it at any point. Usually I just get two or three books at a time, giving them a much better chance of being read before the due dates come around.
(5) How long are you allowed to have the books checked out?
Three weeks, unless the book is on the New Books/14 Day list.
(6) How many times are you allowed to renew your check-outs, if at all?
Twice. Generally, I don't bother, as the books get read in the first borrowing.
(7) What do you love best about your particular library?
I'd have to say that I love it that they're so convenient. Just minutes from the bus (and also right next to my favorite restaurant, so I can stop in often). Also, their willingness to do interlibrary loans.
(8) What is one thing you wish your library did differently?
Get complete series in. So often they won't have the first book (or, half the time, the book I'm looking for if it's not the first one).
(9) Do you request your books via an online catalogue, or through the librarian at your branch?
Nearly always online. It's so easy. And half the time, I'm not requesting them, I'm just checking to see if a book is in.
10) Have you ever chosen a book on impulse (from the online catalogue OR the shelves) and had it turn out to be totally amazing? If so, what book was it, and why did you love it?
Yes, I've done that a lot of the time. At the moment though, I can't think of any examples.