Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Library Loot - Sept 2

Library Loot is hosted each week by Marg of Reading Adventures and Eva of The Striped Armchair. It's a neat way of discovering new books that look interesting, to see what other people have borrowed from their local libraries.

I don't have any new books out this week, just the same two from last week: The Heretic Queen by Michelle Moran and Graceling by Kristin Cashore.

However, Marg has posted an interesting meme I thought I'd like to do, all about library usage.

Library Habits Meme:

(1) If you don’t frequent your local library, why not?

Of course I do. Unfortunately not all of my 'local' libraries anymore though. One of them lost my card from their system, and just isn't convenient. Generally it's the two closest libraries I go to.

(2) If you do visit the library, how often do you go?

Whenever I have to return books, have a hold in, or if they have a particular book I want to read. Every couple of weeks, really. If I don't have any books out at any point I can go for a long time though without getting new ones out.

(3) Do you have a favorite section that you always head to first, or do you just randomly peruse the shelves?

I'm usually there for specific books, so it's directly to either the section in question (mostly the fiction shelves), the catalog computer (if I haven't already checked from home), or the holds shelves. However, once I've found my book of choice, I'll usually poke through the "New Books" shelf or the paperback science fiction/fantasy racks.

(4) How many books are you allowed to check out at one time? Do you take advantage of this?

I have no clue what the maximum is. Obviously I don't come close to it at any point. Usually I just get two or three books at a time, giving them a much better chance of being read before the due dates come around.

(5) How long are you allowed to have the books checked out?

Three weeks, unless the book is on the New Books/14 Day list.

(6) How many times are you allowed to renew your check-outs, if at all?

Twice. Generally, I don't bother, as the books get read in the first borrowing.

(7) What do you love best about your particular library?

I'd have to say that I love it that they're so convenient. Just minutes from the bus (and also right next to my favorite restaurant, so I can stop in often). Also, their willingness to do interlibrary loans.

(8) What is one thing you wish your library did differently?

Get complete series in. So often they won't have the first book (or, half the time, the book I'm looking for if it's not the first one).

(9) Do you request your books via an online catalogue, or through the librarian at your branch?

Nearly always online. It's so easy. And half the time, I'm not requesting them, I'm just checking to see if a book is in.

10) Have you ever chosen a book on impulse (from the online catalogue OR the shelves) and had it turn out to be totally amazing? If so, what book was it, and why did you love it?

Yes, I've done that a lot of the time. At the moment though, I can't think of any examples.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lately, I've been very much able to relate to No. 8. It seems like our library sometimes has a blind spot to series.

Elena said...

That's how I discovered interlibrary loans. If they're free (who knows how much longer they'll stay that way), then it's worth doing for fun reading, and not just for research purposes.

Marg said...

My library does the part series things as well! Very annoying!

Thanks for playing along!

Elena said...

Don't they all? :)

It's fun to play along with these sorts of memes. I'm finding more and more to do each week.

Lisa said...

I love having the library info online. But I'm prone to requesting they pull the books for me so I just have to dash in. If I get too far in, I come home with entirely too many books.

Eva said...

They lost your card? That's weird! I'm super impressed that you keep yourself at 2-3 books; I just can't resist free books. :D Isn't it weird about libraries and series?! Mine had the first in Fables, but not the second or third. :(

April (BooksandWine) said...

I love the library, clearly they are book bloggers' best friends!

Great meme, and great answers. How cool it is that your library is right next to a restaurant. :-)

Blodeuedd said...

Nice meme, and great books last week! I sure wanna read those

Elena said...

Lit and Life, being able to check from home like this sure is convenient.

Eva, I think it's more my fault (I didn't go into that library for something like five years).

April, libraries most certainly are. I'm losing track of the times that someone I follow raves about a book and I can find it at the library instead of buying it.

Blodeudd, so far they've turned out to be great books.

samantha.1020 said...

This is a great meme...I'm going to have to remember it for next week! And thanks for sharing :)

Elena said...

You're welcome. It's fun.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...