Monday, September 28, 2009

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - Sept. 28

I missed out on doing this last week, and so I'm a bit lost about what was actually this week and what was last week's books. Anyway, this is a weekly meme hosted by J. Kaye of J. Kaye's Book Blog.

Completed in the last week (or so. I was on vacation and didn't keep track as well):

Catfantastic V edited by Andre Norton and Martin H. Greenberg

This is an anthology of fantastic cat stories by authors such as Andre Norton, Mercedes Lackey, David Drake, P.M. Griffin and many others. This is one of my favorite series of anthologies. Of course, I'm a cat person, so that may well influence my enjoyment of the stories. Also neat, is the way several of the authors reappear throughout the different volumes, often bringing back the same characters and world.

It's also an one of an older set of anthologies, so it's a bit fun to try and find them now.

Against The Tide Of Years by S. M. Stirling

The middle volume in Stirling's Nantucket Trilogy, following on Island In The Sea Of Time. As such, it does suffer a bit from being a middle volume. There's no great climax at the end of the book, leaving much of the story to the third book, On The Ocean Of Eternity.

I found it a good book, but I'm not jumping into the next one right off. I need a bit of a break. So far, I've found that to be true of all of Stirling's books I've read. I like them, but not back to back.

Ghosts of Ottawa by Glen Shackleton.

The book to go with the Haunted Walk Tour of Ottawa. This might be my favorite of the books I've read this past week. Thing is, unless you order it from the publisher or through Haunted Walks Inc., you've got to get it in downtown Ottawa.

Books I'm reading right now:

The BBC Radio Play of the Lord of the Rings.
Thirteen hours, with each character having a different actor playing their voices. It's incredible.

Ariel by Stephen Boyett
I'm actually not enjoying this one very much.

Books I intend to read this week:

Defenders of the Scroll

Ottawa: An Illustrated History by John H. Taylor

12 comments:

Brooke from The Bluestocking Guide said...

LOL! The first one looks funny. Here is mine

Elena said...

Catfantastic V was good (and funny at times, though there were a few sad stories).

Thanks for stopping by.

Marie said...

I love the Catfantastic series!

The radio play of Lord of the Rings sounds great!

Elena said...

Marie, do you happen to know the author/story lineup for Catfantastiv IV? it's the only one I don't have, and I'd love to know who's in it.

Thanks for stopping by.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

The LOTR audio sounds wonderful!

Elena said...

It is. I've heard it before, several times. Ian Holm does the voice of Frodo, Michael Horden, Gandalf, and there's a whole host of other great actors as well.

Thanks for stopping by.

Jennifer said...

LOTR via the BBC must be amasing. Have a great reading week!
Mine is here: http://rundpinne.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-are-you-reading-monday_28.html

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, The BBC Radio Play of the Lord of the Rings! That sounds so fantastic!!

Elena said...

It really is, J. Kaye. I'm not usually big on audio books. These are my three exceptions: the BBC LOTR, Hobbit and Tales From The Perilous Realm. Of course, I also have the audio book of Children of Hurin, but I am a Tolkien fan. Whether or not I'll listen to it is another story.

Anonymous said...

Elena, When I saw BBC, that's when I got excited. They usually go all out, especially with stuff like this.

Elena said...

It's worth getting excited about. They really did go all out: the actors are wonderful, the music is great, and this one introduced me to my favorite poem of Tolkien's: Bilbo's Last Song.

Elena said...

Thanks, Ruth.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...