Monday, September 28, 2009

Clear Off Your Shelves Challenge


You've seen my TBR pile post LOL. This is the perfect challenge for me! It runs from October 1 to November 30, 2009.

The rules are, and the full rules post is here:
1. Any non-review books that are on your shelves and/or review copies that have been on your shelves for over six months.
2. This challenge will work a little differently than other challenges. Instead of picking a set number of books to read during this time period, you will pick a percentage. This means that a certain percentage of the books you read during these two months will have to qualify for this challenge. For example, let’s say you pick 40% and you end up reading 10 books in October and November. 4 of those books would have to qualify for this challenge in order for you to complete it. I am setting a minimum percentage of 20%.

I'm going to set a high percentage: 50%. I can't afford to buy any new books for the next couple of months (although there are several I really want to get). What's more, as I'm moving in the near future, I'm taking the title of the challenge literally, and getting rid of the books I read for this challenge once I'm done with them)

The books read for this challenge:
  1. In Celebration of Lammas Night by Mercedes Lackey. Ed. Josepha Sherman
  2. The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
  3. Lady Of The Forest by Jennifer Roberson
  4. Lady of Sherwood by Jennifer Roberson
  5. King And Goddess - Judith Tarr

9 comments:

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

OOH - I totally support you but even a percentage scares me lOL.... if I would just stop looking at new books.... but I cant.... they are my cryptonite....

Elena said...

Mine too, really. I'm going to have trouble this month. Especially as I want the new Mercedes Lackey, and I also want to get Jo Graham's other book before it comes out in MM paperback. The cover art on the trade is far nicer.

Thanks for stopping by Sheila.

Wendi said...

Yikes - I really want to participate in this challenge, but can't make the committment right now for fear of failure (if you saw my towering tbr pile, plus all my family stuff going on, you'd laugh). :)

Thanks for stopping by and participating in Thingers last week! I've got the post up for this week in honor of Banned Books Week. ~ Wendi

Anonymous said...

I was going to go for a higher percentage (originally thought to do 50%, but ended up choosing 30%) but didn't have the guts. Kudos to you for going for it!

(You've probably already heard of it, and you may well even be a member, being a book blogger and all, but may I recommend bookmooch for solving the can't-afford-new-books problem?)

Elena said...

Thanks for the comment, Wendi. I've been over to Tuesday Thingers, and it's interesting. I knew LOTR had had some controversy, but The Canterbury Tales?

Booktrash, I've heard of it, but haven't looked into bookmooch at all. Something I'm going to have to change, I think. Thanks for the suggestion.

Emily Rogers said...

I'm also trying for 50%! Good Luck!

Elena said...

Thanks. I just might need it. It's good to see that someone else was just as ambitious though.

S. Krishna said...

Woo, 50% - you are ambitious! Good luck, and thanks for participating!

Elena said...

Thanks, S. Krishna. What's more, I've decided to take the title of the challenge literally: The books for the challenge are going OUT! It's time for a sorting of the shelves.

I may not be reading as much over the next month and a bit given that statement though. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...