Friday, January 8, 2010

The Golden Mean - Nick Bantock


The Golden Mean
Nick Bantock
Chronicle Books
Copyright: 1993
978-0811802987

The Golden Mean is the sequel to Sabine's Notebook and Griffin and Sabine, the two previous books comprising this set of stories by Nick Bantock. As with the previous two, the story is told through the use of unique art postcards and decorated, removable letters. That's the incredible thing about the Griffin and Sabine series, the artwork.

The story itself is short, short enough to read easily in one sitting, but eerie. The books seem like you're part of the personal correspondence. There's no page numbers or anything else normally book-like aside from the fact it's bound and in pages.

The first two books were somewhat odd. This one gets downright creepy. Not to mention confusing. I've been trying to figure out the ending for the last two days, ever since I finished reading it. Does anyone else have any thoughts? I don't want to include any spoilers for anyone who wants to read the book, but I'd love to hear some opinions.

I liked the first two books in the set better, they seemed to leave less unresolved. Believe me! There's plenty of unanswered questions here. Maybe they'll be resolved in the next three books. Regardless of my thoughts on the story, I have to say that the art is spectacular, and worth going back for a second (and third) look.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...