Friday, August 24, 2012

Friday Favourites - Your Favourite Author's Blog?

Friday Favourites - a chance to rave about a favourite reading/book related topic each week.

Sometimes you just want a chance to rave about some favourite aspect of reading that doesn't really come up during regular blogging posts - that's what this is about. I'm willing to bet that at least some of those will come up one week or another.


This week I'm asking what your favourite author's blog is. It doesn't have to be the blog of your favourite author though (assuming he or she even has a blog), but the author's blog that you check the most or enjoy the posts from the most.


My answer:
I've found that a number of the authors I like have blogs: Elizabeth Moon (The Deed of Paksenarrion, Trading in Danger) has a number, Jo Graham (Hand of Isis) has one, Patricia C. Wrede (Caught In Crystal) has one, as does L.E. Modesitt Jr. (The Parafaith War). Other authors do too - but these are the ones I tend to check the most often.


Of them though, my favourites are Elizabeth Moon's general blog, MoonScape, and her Paksworld blog, closely followed by Patricia C. Wrede's blog. A lot of the reasons I like these three are that (normally at least) they're updated fairly regularly. Also, it's the subject matter involved.


Patricia C. Wrede's blog is almost entirely centered on writing: tips, tricks and techniques. Some posts are about the mechanics of writing, and others are geared around the business side of thing. All in all, for anyone who's interested in writing, fiction or otherwise, I think this is a fascinating blog to check out - if not to bookmark and return to on a regular basis.


Elizabeth Moon's MoonScape blog on LiveJournal is an equally fascinating read for the variety of topics discussed: writing, politics, knitting, cooking and land management are all subjects that come up regularly. Personally, while I find them all interesting, there are two subjects that seem to be inspiring me more than the others: knitting and cooking. Every time I read a post on the latest in her adventures in knitting socks, my determiation to learn to knit socks is reinforced. And, the same thing for cooking. Just recently I tried making beef stock from scratch for the first (and not the last) time.


At the same time, her Paksworld blog is also fascinating to me because the world of The Deed of Paksenarrion is one of my favourite series. I love the insights into that world - the research, background on the writings and the world, and the like. Not to mention the snippets - both not used and from the future books in the series.


What is your favourite author's blog?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...