Friday, June 1, 2012

Friday Favourites: Your Favourite Period in History?

Friday Favourites - a chance to rave about a favourite reading/book related topic each week.

Sometimes you just want a chance to rave about some favourite aspect of reading that doesn't really come up during regular blogging posts - that's what this is about. I'm willing to bet that at least some of those will come up one week or another.

This week I'm asking what your favourite period of history is.
Please leave either your response in the comments or a link to your response.

I picked this question for this week based on both the movies I've been watching lately (War Horse and Last of the Mohicans) and the last book I finished (Diana Gabaldon's Outlander). However, the question itself isn't specifically about what time periods you like to read, instead it's more general, about your favourite period of history in general.

For myself it's about an even split between Classical (Roman and Greek) and Medieval History. I know for medieval history it was an interesting start - I was inspired to take a couple of general Medieval History courses because I'd been reading some historical fiction and and wanted to find out how much of the story was based on truth. I think the novel in question was Katherine Kurtz's The Temple and the Stone, or perhaps the sequel, The Temple and the Crown. I was lucky enough to have a really good teacher who really sparked my interest.

I don't remember what caught my interest in Greek and Roman history though, but that was what I decided to major in, and I've found it fascinating ever since. I'm still buying books on the subject, along with medieval history as well as borrowing them from the library.

All I know is I find reading about and researching both periods to be absolutely fascinating even after getting a degree in the subject. What really catches my eye with both is the little details about every-day life, crafts, food and the like.

What's your favourite period of history, and why is it so fascinating to you?

2 comments:

Marg said...

I am a bit greedy and like a lot of historical eras in my reading. Rome, medieval, Restoration, Victorian and WWI and WWII are just the ones I thought of off the top of my head.

Elena said...

I know what you mean. I do too, but it's the Classical and Medieval that are my passions though.

Thanks for commenting, Marg.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...