Monday, August 15, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? August 15th

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? has been hosted for about the past two years by Sheila of One Person's Journey Through A World Of  Books. Congratulations on reaching that 100th post for this meme. And, I've said it before, but thanks for keeping us all on track with our reading.

I'm a little delayed in getting my response up this morning - there was a power outage. Got lucky though, as they were forecasting that it would b a few more hours before we all got our power back.

Last week I got my usual one book read:
The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien. Fantasy, fiction. The second part of my all-time favourite book, The Lord of the Rings. Again, while I was reading The Two Towers, I kept hearing the voices from the BBC Radio Play version of it - especially the voice of Peter Woodthorpe, who spoke the part of Gollum, but also Ian Holm (Frodo) and several of the others. I've really got to listen to that one again (but not while I'm trying to read the book).

I'm currently reading:
Wheelock's Latin, 6th Edition, Revised by Frederic M. Wheelock. My primary Latin textbook from both my first and second year classes. I'm attempting to work my way through it again. Surprisingly (though it's only the first chapter so far), I'm remembering more of it than I thought I would.

The Annotated Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. Edited by Douglas A. Anderson. A truly spectacular edition of the book.

I intend to read:
The Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien. The third part of The Lord of the Rings. This is definitely the next book I'm going to be reading.

Catalyst by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Anne Scarborough. Fiction, fantasy and a library book. I really need to get to this book in the near future.

5 comments:

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I am reading "Destiny Island" by Tim Hanner and "Witch Song" by Amanda Argyle. Both books are quite decent.

BookGal said...

I have never been able to get into Tolkien. Maybe it's time to try again. Here's my week
http://booksmemesmusings.blogspot.com/2011/08/its-monday-heres-what-im-reading.html

Elena said...

Both those books have intriguing titles, Michael. Hope you enjoy them.

BookGal, I'll check yours out. Maybe it's time for another try at Tolkien. Thanks for commenting.

pussreboots said...

I love The Hobbit but I think the annotations would get in the way. I'm posting late this week because I've been on a trip to the mountains and out of reach of the internet. Please come see what I've read.

Elena said...

pussreboots, the annotations are in a separate column to the text on each page.

I hope you enjoyed your trip, and thanks for commenting here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...