Saturday, April 23, 2011

Recommended Books - List

Over the last few years, people have regularly recommended books to me, be that in the course of my work at the bookstore, or here on All Booked Up. Oftentimes, I truly mean to at least look into the recommendations that come my way. Hopefully this post will help me in that, by reminding me of the recommendations I've been given. Feel free to add more recommendations in the comments, too.

Given the number of times I've gone to look for a book, but couldn't remember the title when I got to work (nor could I remember which post/comment contained it) I've decided to gather them all together here in a list. Some of these books I've since read or bought, and that will be noted too. As with the Unread Books list, I'm going to be redoing it every year at the beginning of January after this.

Recommended Books:
  1. Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (Writing)
  2. Write Away by Elizabeth George (Writing)
  3. Bird by Bird by Annie Lamott (Writing)
  4. Ghost Train To The Eastern Star by Paul Theroux (Travel Literature, India)
  5. Tiger Hills by Sarita Mandana (Fiction?, India)
  6. Devlin Diary (Fiction, Mystery, History)
  7. Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin (Fiction, History, Mystery)
  8. The Tale of Murasaki: A Novel by Liza Dalby (Fiction, History, Japan)
  9. Tale of the Genji (Recommended by at least two people) (Fiction, History, Primary Source, Japan)
  10. The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall (China, History, Fiction)
  11. Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn (Fiction, Fantasy, Japan)
  12. Shipwrecks by Akira Yoshimura (Fiction, History, Japan)
  13. Grow Great Grub by Gayla Trail (Gardening)
  14. Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon (Fiction, Teen)
  15. Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (Fiction) (Recommended by several people)
  16. Luck in the Shadows by Lynn Flewelling (Fiction, Fantasy)
  17. Island Beneath The Sea by Isabel Allende (Fiction)
  18. The October Daye series (Fiction, Fantasy, Urban Fantasy)
  19. A Song of Ice And Fire series by George R. R. Martin (Fiction, Fantasy)

Recommended Authors:
  1. Simon Scarrow
  2. Margaret Frazer
  3. Gail Tsukiyama
  4. Anchee Min
  5. Lian Hearn
  6. Jean Plaidy
  7. Sharon Kay Penman (Own two of her books, but have yet to read them)
  8. Jeanie Frost
  9. Rachel Vincent (Own Stray, but have yet to read it)
  10. Kim Harrison
  11. Shannon Hale 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...