Friday, February 17, 2012

Friday Favourites - Your Favourite Author?

Friday Favourites - a chance to rave about a favourite reading/book related topic each week.

Sometimes you just want a chance to rave about some favourite aspect of reading that doesn't really come up during regular blogging posts - that's what this is about. I'm willing to bet that at least some of those will come up one week or another.

This week I'm asking what your favourite author is.

Please leave either a link to your response or your response itself in the comments. 

For me the answer is obvious: J.R.R. Tolkien.

I've said it when I was talking about my favourite book a couple of Fridays ago, and I'll say it again. He was such a master at creating worlds and everything that went in them: landscapes, languages, creation, peoples, history, all of it. I've loved them for at least the last two decades, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Tolkien is the one author I don't think I could ever get tired of reading - and what's more, he and his world of Middle-Earth are one of the few that I really enjoy reading the secondary books about. So, for me I guess it's more than just whether or not he's my favourite author - it's rather more than that - it's more like I'm reading another history or facet of history.

To be honest, I'm rather an amateur collector of books by and about Tolkien. To me he is unique as a writer. He's managed to make the world of Middle-Earth so detailed and through that there's always something new to notice in reading the books. And the same thing is true of the non-Middle-Earth books as well. Not to mention in his art too.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...