Saturday, February 25, 2012

Saturday Snapshot - February 25

Saturday Snapshots is a fun non-book-related meme hosted each Saturday by Alyce of At Home With Books. I love this one as it makes for a really nice change from books. The idea is to post a snapshot or photo you or a friend or family member has taken. It doesn't even need to have been taken in the previous week!

In the last week or so, I've been out to Whytecliff Park a couple of times. The first time it was getting very close to sunset when I was able to get these photos of some of the local residents. I think it's the time of day/lighting that accounts for the quality of the photos unfortunately.

A Great Blue Heron, fishing. Taken with the camera on a tripod and using sunset mode rather than auto. Probably should have been playing with the camera in full manual mode instead.

A sunstar, I think. Either way, it was low tide out on the beach, not that that makes any difference for what this is.

15 comments:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I don't think I've ever seen a sunstar before.
Beautiful pics. We have Great Blue Herons in my area but I only see them in warm weather.

Elena said...

Thanks Marie. They're glorious birds, though I hear that they can make a bit of a mess. I've also heard of people hating them because they clean out the koi ponds.

Trish said...

That sunstar looks interesting - I don't think I've ever seen one before.

Elena said...

It was kind of neat Trish. I've seen them before, I think, but usually only way down on the pilings of the docks or the rocks underneath. In other words, quite a ways away.

Alyce said...

It's so much fun to see animals like that in person! Blue herons are one of my favorite birds, and yes they can make quite a mess. They used to fish in the creek next to the house I grew up in and one day our garage got bombed by one as we were sitting nearby on the back deck (thanking our lucky stars it hadn't been flying over us when it let loose).

Elena said...

Or think of the trees they nest in. Apparently those are a pretty smelly area, or so I've heard.

Thanks for commenting Alyce and I hope you have a great week.

Eva said...

The heron looks great even if the light is a bit iffy. Such beautiful birds.

Elena said...

Thanks Eva. They certainly are gorgeous. Usually I only see them when I don't have a camera handy, so this was a neat chance, regardless of the light quality.

Thanks for commenting.

Kaye said...

I've never seen a sunstar either. The great blue herons here can certainly clean out a pond. We know someone who had that happen to them. They were not happy!

Staci said...

I've never seen a sunstar...love the photos!!

Elena said...

Thanks Stacy and Kaye. Glad you liked the photos.

I heard more or less the same thing from a former neighbour too, and it always crosses my mind when I see a heron now.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Both are beautiful and unusual for mr. Great photos.

Elena said...

Thanks Diane. Glad you enjoyed.

Louise said...

Blue herons are always wonderful to see. I don't think I've seen a sunstar before either.

Elena said...

Thanks for stopping in with a comment Louise. They are wonderful birds aren't they.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...