Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Real Bread - Success at Last!

I've said before that I wanted to be able to bake real yeast-breads at home as compared to the quick breads I've been doing for the last couple of months (Bread Baking - Take Two, and my review of Linda Collister's book Quick Breads). Well, last night and this morning I finally decided to give it another try. With a brand new bottle of yeast, I attempted the Country Loaf from Michael Smith's book The Best of Chef At Home.

It was easier than I thought it would be to make the dough, and overnight (the first rising period), the mixture about doubled in size in the bowl. Then, this morning it was a breeze to knead into the ball, then into a log and place it into the loaf pan.

After the second rise, the top of the dough was above the level of the loaf pan, and it gained I think almost another inch in the oven, where it turned the most perfect golden colour. I can't wait to slice into this loaf and see how it tastes.

Every time I've tried to bake yeast-breads in the past, I've had no luck with the rising. This time, it worked out perfectly.

Planning to have some of the bread for a late breakfast with the asparagus soldiers from Jamie at Home, one of Jamie Oliver's older cookbooks, but a newer acquisition in my collection.

Edited to add: The bread is delicious - somewhat more yeasty tasting than I'm used to, but delicious, with a great texture, and the eggs, with asparagus wrapped in bacon were divine. Worth the effort to make for sure (and I hate handling raw meat, which category bacon fits into). I'd do it again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...