Saturday, May 14, 2011

Status update: Crochet, Reading & Gardening

It's spring, so some other activities besides reading are creeping into my spare time now. I'm making another attempt at gardening on my balcony in pots. Last year, the plants got overrun by aphids. Hopefully I'll have better luck this year. Anyway, over the last couple of days I planted a window box of lettuce and Swiss Chard, a pot of radish seeds, and two pots of parsley seedlings. I'm planning another window box of bean plants, some more herbs and four tomato plants in different pots - as well as another pot of radishes in a week or two. The herbs and tomato plants I already have - just waiting until it gets a bit warmer out - maybe the end of the month before I plant them. As well, I'm planning on making another attempt at square foot gardening, like I have the last few years. Thinking of more beans, squash, carrots, beets and peas to start with there. But that's a different project than the one on my balcony. That one is waiting for a combination of a day off and nice weather to make a good start on.

At the same time, I've started another attempt at crocheting the shawl I started in February. This time I've made it to row ten and counting. And, it seems to be working out a bit smoother too this time. The shawl is the Bernat # 4922, which uses the mosaic yarn. I'm using the Ambrosia variety. All I can say about this one is be very careful as to the number of stitches. That's what's mucked me up a few times now. Although, it is my first attempt at doing a pattern.

In terms of reading, I'm well into the novel Divergent by Veronica Roth, and I'm quite enjoying the read, although I think (at least right now) that Hunger Games was a bit better. I don't want to say too much more right now though - I'd like to save it all for my review of the book.

Also, I'm back to reading The Deed of Paksenarrion again. Still loving it. And, I've bought another book. I'm finally going to make a crack at reading George R. R. Martin's A Game of Thrones.

2 comments:

J.G. said...

Have fun with the gardening! There's nothing like eating something homegrown.

Elena said...

Thanks J.G. I'm already dreaming about tomatoes fresh from the vine and still sun-warmed. Those are the best!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...