Friday, August 1, 2008

By Schism Rent Asunder - David Weber

By Schism Rent Asunder
David Weber
Tor Books
Copyright: July 2008
ISBN: 9780765315014

By Schism Rent Asunder is the sequel to Off Armageddon Reef and it was just as good as all of Weber's other science fiction. However, unlike his other science fiction novels, the technology is in the background, making this more of a fantasy type story. Regardless, I loved it.

The only thing is, and this was completely my fault, I found myself quite lost in reading the book, as I last read Off Armageddon Reef when it first came out (now well over a year ago), and I'd forgotten much of the detail. I'm now going to have to re-read that book.

As good as the story is (and I stayed up most of the night to finish reading it), unlike the first book, By Schism Rent Asunder is definitely a 'middle book' in the series. Although the story ends on a victory, it really doesn't resolve anything. This is a book that is just crying out for a sequel, whereas Off Armageddon Reef stood alone very well, and until I saw this book in the store, I'd wondered if it was simply a stand-alone novel. Now, I want to know what happens next.

I highly, highly recommend this book.

My review of By Heresies Distressed, the sequel to By Schism Rent Asunder.

Other reviews can be found at:
Fantasy Book Critic: By Schism Rent Asunder

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...