Monday, November 28, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - November 28th

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted each week over at One Person's Journey Through A World Of Books. Thanks Sheila for keeping us all on track with our reading each week.

It's actually been an unusually good week for reading, at least partially inspired by the death of Anne McCaffrey, but I got several books read. Not to mention, getting inspired to get back into cooking once more.

Last week I read:
Restoree by Anne McCaffrey. Fiction, Science Fiction. Restoree was Anne McCaffrey's first novel, and to be honest, it's not one of my favourites of hers, but still it's an interesting read, and I hadn't realized that it was her first novel until this read.

Black Horses For the King by Anne McCaffrey. Fiction, Children's, Historical Fiction. Definitely a different take on the story of King Arthur, I'd have to say this was my favourite read of the week. She's integrated a fascinating mix of Celtic and Roman cultures, suited for the setting and period, and then taken a very different character's perspective on the story - that of a young boy who loves horses. Then, to top things off, she's made the story about the invention of horseshoes rather than directly about King Arthur. All in all, this story works. Perfect if you're looking for a quick and intriguing read which makes you wish you could find out more.

Get Off The Unicorn by Anne McCaffrey. Fiction, Science Fiction, Short Stories. Another book which is perhaps not one of my favourites, but it's still a good read. Besides, it's neat to see where some of her stories originated, and how long ago that was.

I'm currently reading:
The Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. Fiction, Science Fiction. An omnibus edition of Dragonflight, Dragonquest and The White Dragon. I'm actually not sure if I'm going to complete this book at this time - I may have overdone my Anne McCaffrey reading at the moment.

Ring Of Words: Tolkien And The Oxford English Dictionary by Peter Gilliver, Jeremy Marshall and Edmund Weiner. Non Fiction. This is kind of weird. I thought I knew what this book was going to be about, but it's turning out to be something completely different. Still interesting - perhaps even more interesting for all of that. I'd thought it was going to be a more detailed biography of Tolkien's years during which he was working on the OED, but instead it's turned out to be about the words he edited. Neat!

As usual. I'm not sure what I'm going to be reading next.

7 comments:

Lindsey said...

Black Horses for the King sounds really interesting. I love retellings and historical fiction and well, books. :)
Have a wonderful reading week!

Heidi’sbooks said...

I didn't realize Ann McCaffrey died. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I need to read Black Horses for the King with my daughter! I'm a new follower.

Elena said...

Thanks, Lindsey and the same wish for you. I hope that if you get the chance to read Black Horses For The King that you like it. Thanks for commenting.

Thanks for following, Heidi. I hope that both of you enjoy the read, and you're very welcome. I just wish that that was a piece of news we never had to read.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big ScFi fan though I was sad to hear of McCaffreys death - glad you are enjoying her books

Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

Unknown said...

Hello: I am reading The Tudor Secret. great book....:)

pussreboots said...

I'm going to add Black Horses for the King to my wishlist.

If it weren't for the audio books we listened to while stuck in holiday traffic, I wouldn't have gotten much read this week. Please come see what we've read.

Elena said...

Agreed, Bookedout. She was one of the cornerstones of science fiction. I recently found out that Anne McCaffrey was both a Hugo and a Nebula Award-winning author. Thanks for commenting.

Princess of Eboli, I don't know that book at all. Is it any good so far?

Pussreboots, I hope you enjoy Black Horses For The King if you get around to reading it. Audio books are definitely good when you're busy. Still, it looks like you got a lot done this past week. Thanks for commenting.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...