Monday, November 21, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? November 21

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted over at One Person's Journey Through A World Of Books every week. It's lots of fun to see what people are reading at any time, and a great way to get more book recommendations (like we need more of those some of the time :) ).

I've been having a few weeks where I'm more likely to pick up a new book than to finish a read. On the other hand, I have managed to read a couple of books in the last week:

Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien. Fantasy, Children's, Fiction. This is a charming little book where the letters that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote to his children in the guise of Father Christmas are collected. Lavishly and beautifully illustrated with the facsimiles of the letters, pictures, and even the envelopes that Tolkien created. Great for both kids and adults.

Star Wars: The Jedi Path by Daniel Wallace. Fiction, Science Fiction. Another rather neat book. I found that it was the "annotations" that really made the book an experience.

I'm currently reading:
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. Fiction, Historical Fiction. I've read this book before, and loved it then. This re-read was inspired by watching the movie.

The Twentieth Wife by Indu Sundaresan. Fiction, Historical Fiction. Set in India, which I quite like when the mood strikes, this was a book that was recommended to me a year or more ago. So far, the start was quite good, but I haven't been completely grabbed by the book.

Red Land Black Land by Barbara Mertz. Non Fiction, History. A book about daily life in ancient Egypt. Barbara Mertz also writes as Elizabeth Peters, which means that the writing of the book should be engaging. So far, it is. My only issue is how old the book turned out to be - it's been revised in 1978. How many discoveries are there that will have made the conclusions drawn here inaccurate? Still, it's a good read to date.

As usual, I'm not entirely certain what I'm going to read next. Guess I'll just have to see what strikes my fancy as the week goes by.

6 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

I have a large book on the works of Tolkien... I wonder if that story you are reading is in it. I will have to look. :)

Elena said...

I've never seen the Father Christmas Letters as part of another book, but I haven't seen every Tolkien book out there. Hope you get a chance to enjoy this one some day.

Thanks for stopping in with a comment, Sheila.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I'm reading Genesis Earth by Joseph Vasicek

Elena said...

I'm going to guess that that's a science fiction title, as I don't recognize it. Looks interesting though, and thanks for commenting Michael.

Unknown said...

I am reading The last Queen by C.W.Gortner, great book, almost done....:)

Elena said...

I've not read anything by Gortner, but I've heard a lot of good things about that author, and especially that book. Let me know what you think of it when you're done. I'm rather curious.

Thanks for stopping in with a comment, Princess of Eboli.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...