Thursday, July 21, 2011

Booking Through Thursday - Repeats

Booking Through Thursday is an interesting subject this week - and one I'm going to have a lot of trouble answering:
What’s the first book that you ever read more than once? (I’m assuming there’s at least one.)
What book have you read the most times? And–how many? 
Thinking back on it, I have to say, I really don't know. As far as I can remember, I've always been a re-reader, so there's a lot of kids books that could be the answer to the first question. Maybe one of the Enid Blyton books such as The Wishing Chair? Or, maybe to go with the answer to the second question, I should say the answer is The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien. I know I was seven or eight when I first read that book.

As for the second question, "Which book have you read the most times?" that's the easiest question to answer. No holds barred, the answer is The Lord of the Rings. It's my favourite all-time novel, and one I don't think I'll ever get tired of re-reading. Every time, I notice some new little detail. There's just so much that Tolkien has packed into the story.

The third question, that of how many times I have read it, is also impossible to answer with any accuracy. Suffice it to say, I'm on my third or fourth reading copy, having worn out the previous ones. I remember the Council of Elrond falling out of my first set of the books years and years ago.

2 comments:

J.G. said...

Me, too! My total is something like 15 times. Funny, but I don't really do re-reads except this duo. The Sun Also Rises, A Christmas Carol, and The Once and Future King come to mind, though, as distant seconds.

Elena said...

It's certainly a book that deserves re-reading. Funnily enough, I don't think I've read the other books you mentioned - not quite true, I remember trying the Once and Future King and putting it down.

Thanks for commenting, J.G.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...