Friday, November 5, 2010

What Would You Recommend? - Books on Writing

This is a question I get asked all the time working in the bookstore: "What would you recommend for somebody who loved "_________"? (fill in the blank)" Usually I can come up with something, but that something can be a bit of a wild guess if it's not a book or genre I normally read. This is where you helpful people come in. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

With NaNoWriMo going on right now (and going half-decently too - I've managed to keep on word count for the last four days), I thought it would be the perfect time to ask what your favourite books on writing are? For me, there are a couple that are tempting me, particularly The Guide To Writing Science Fiction And Fantasy by  Philip Athens and R. A. Salvatore.

The other books I really like are: Now Write! Fiction Writing Exercises From Today's Best Writers and Teachers by Sherry Ellis and Creating Character Emotions by Ann Hood. Especially the second one. The book gives examples of bad writing and good writing as well as explaining why they are good and bad for each emotion.

So, what are your recommendations on the subject?

6 comments:

Anassa said...

I discovered Self-Editing for Fiction Writers earlier this year, and found it helpful. Clear information and discussion of things like show vs. tell, dialogue, pacing, voice, with examples and exercises. Other than that, I don't read books on writing because they seem to rehash the same things in generalisms. I've heard a lot of people recommend King's On Writing, though.

Elena said...

Interesting. That is something to watch out for then. Thanks for the tip, Anassa.

Unknown said...

I'm quite fond of Elizabeth George's Write Away myself, but I think that what works for some people as far as "how to write" books won't work for others. I'm quite curious to try King's book, myself, too. I will have to try the ones you've recommended, too.

Elena said...

Interesting, Kiirstin. I wonder if we're more likely to look at books on writing by authors who's books we know about or like?

I'm a bit curious about Elizabeth George's take on writing, I have to admit.

J.G. said...

My favorite is Annie Lamott's Bird by Bird. It's good advice on several levels. I've incorporated her tips not only into writing but into my life.

Elena said...

Thanks for the recommendation, J.G.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...