Monday, December 28, 2009

Zombies, Vampires and Classics

Can someone explain how come this is so popular now? Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance - Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem!(Amazon.com link), Sense And Sensibility And Sea Monsters (Amazon.com link). Not to mention the two I saw the other day at work: Queen Victoria: Demon Hunter (Amazon.com link) and Jane Bites Back: A Novel (Amazon.com link). There's a whole bunch more I'm finding as I searched these ones out too. All of them have come out this year.

What's with the zombies? Zombie graphic novels, zombie christmas carols and more. I'm just completely confused. Of course, I'll admit that I haven't read any of these books as of yet, although I'm somewhat curious about Pride And Prejudice and Zombies. The good reviews have been absolutely great, but there've been a fair number of bad ones as well. On the other hand, not having read the original Pride And Prejudice, I wonder if I'd get the jokes.

I'd half-way blame it on the Twilight phenomenon, but as far as I can tell, these books are reverting to a completely different type of monster from the romance/paranormal genres. Pride And Prejudice And Zombies is most definitely classed as a horror novel.

If anyone has a clue why these have become so popular, I'd love to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, one can sometimes link up the times with the trends in literature. Dracula and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde came near the end of the nineteenth century when new scientific discoveries with drugs and blood were cropping up.
What could zombies relate to that might relate to the times? Mindless beings roaming about seeking sustenance. Hmmm....

Aine
theevolvingspirit.blogspot.com

Elena said...

That's a possible explanation for the Max Brooks type of novel, but what about the others a la Pride and Prejudice with Zombies? There seems to be a love of connecting them to the classics of novels.

Any ideas about that?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really don't, possilby just part of a literary tradition of paying homage to other writers....While mindlessly seeking sustenance?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...