Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Book Rambling: Reading Habits

Something I've noticed since January, when I really started working with this blog is that my reading habits have changed, and I'm wondering if this has happened to other who blog about the books they read.

I used to re-read books all the time. Now, as much as I'd like to do that, I don't feel like I should any more. I feel like I have too many books I should be reading instead of something I've read before, especially if I've read it in the previous year (such as the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs or the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward).

I probably didn't help things by putting together my unread books list. Actually, I gave myself a bit of a shock when I created that list. I'd known I'm rather addicted to buying books and not reading them, but I hadn't realized the problem was that big!

Challenges don't actually help, either. I'm finding that (other than a challenge looking only for a specific quantity of books read, like the 100 Books Challenge at LibraryThing) they just add another layer of obligation.

Now, I'm starting to wonder if any of this is the reason I'm having trouble finishing the books I start right now (I will note that my spinning wheel is getting a lot of use these days, and I've started knitting a bit more lately). Or, it could just be the weather and seasons having an effect.

Aside from grumbling about not wanting to read anything at the moment (which I've also heard from other bloggers recently), have you found that your reading habits changed when you started blogging about books?
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...