Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Excuses, Excuses

I know it's been quiet around here the last couple of weeks. I guess I've been in a bit of a reading slump - well that and doing a whole lot of other things like taking photos and going camping. Photography has been a bit of a priority for me these days, having just gotten a new macro lens - something I've wanted since I got the camera a few years ago. Now I'm trying to learn more about photography and how to use my camera better.

I do have several books on the go, and there are a couple I finished in the last week or so too. Consider this a bit of a late "It's Monday! What Are You Reading?" post if you wil.

Finished books:
White Tiger by Kylie Chan. Fiction, fantasy, e-book. I've read the book, in fact the whole trilogy before and absolutely loved it.  One of the things I find heat, which I stated in my last review is the way that this whole series is peopled by a whole different world and culture that the usual urban fantasy that I've read.

Crusade by David Weber and Steve White. Fiction, science fiction, e-book. I read Crusade, and some of the other books in the series years ago. To be honest, this is my favourite of the series, and I almost think of it as a stand-alone book. This time I was inspired to read it by my read of the Michael R. Hicks In Her Name omnibus edition. My favourite bits are the two speeches made by Howard Anderson towards the end of the book. They just stick in  my head - even years later I remembered them and was looking forward to reading them again.

Starting A Successful Business In Canada Kit from Self Counsel Press. Non Fiction, business. I have an idea, now I'm just figuring out how to take it somewhere. Anyway, this book is clear and easy to understand.

I'm reading several books too, although it's somewhat slow going these days.
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Fiction, Science Fiction, Teen. I've read the book before, but in honour of the movie, I decided to read it again. Currently, I'm about half way through and enjoying the read as much this time as I did last time. Last time I put the book down, Katniss was just past the arena fire.

Lover Reborn, the latest book in J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Fiction, Paranormal Romance. As much as I loved the earlier books in this series, I'm finding this one to be a bit of a slog. Of course, I'm only half way in at the moment, so I'm waiting for the story to just take off completely.

Canadian Small Business Kit for Dummies by Margaret Kerr and Jo-Ann Kurtz. Non Fiction, business. As I said, I've got an idea that I'm working on fleshing out right now. For the moment, I'm not going to say anything more about it. As for the book, well normally I hate the "Dummies" series, if only for the name, but this one is clear and actually fairly funny at times.

Facing Up: A Remarkable Journey To The Summit Of Mount Everest by Bear Grylls. Non Fiction, Outdoors, Biography. I've only just started reading this one to very high recommendations. I do know I loved both his Living Wild survival guide and Facing The Frozen Ocean - not to mention the t.v. series Man Vs. Wild.

In terms of photography, this might just be a really neat coincidence, or it might be a bit of a sign. I'm starting to think about microstock photography, and guess what just got approved from NetGalley: Beyond Snapshots by Rachel Devine and Peta Mazey. Already, within the first few pages, I'm finding a whole lot of helpful information. This is a book I may end up having to buy.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...