Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Book Rambling: Science Fiction vs. Fantasy

 No, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I love both categories of fiction. It's just that when I was shelving in the bookstore the other day it struck me how much larger the fantasy section was than the science fiction. Fantasy is twice the size, almost exactly.

What I can't help wondering is whether this is a reflection of current popularity trends - eg. urban fantasy, which I know is really popular right now, or if it's just a difference in the number of books being put out in each type.

Personally, I'm inclined to think it might be the first. But, that thought isn't based on anything in the bookstore, but instead on the blogs I've found. That is, I've found quite a few fantasy-focused blogs, some of which also do science fiction reviews, but a lot of them are fantasy only, and a lot of those focus on the urban fantasy/paranormal/romance genre. Now, my finding those in numbers and easily might be a reflection of what I've been searching for, but I haven't run into more than one or two science-fiction only review blogs. Which makes me wonder if more fantasy is being read right now than science fiction.

Opinions?
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...