Friday, February 5, 2010

Iron Kissed - Patricia Briggs

Iron Kissed
Patricia Briggs
Ace Fantasy
Copyright: 2008
9780441015665

From the back of the book:


I could smell her fear, and it satisfied something deep inside me that had been writhing under her cool, superior gaze. I curled my upper lip so she could get a good look at my sharp teeth. I might only weigh thirty or so pounds in my coyote shape, but I was a predator...

Mechanic Mercy Thompson can shift her shape - but not her loyalty. When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to Mercy to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not

Mercy's loyalty is under pressure from other directions too. Werewolves are not known for their patience, and if Mercy can't decide between the two she cares for, Sam and Adam may make the choice for her...

This is a re-read of this book, which is the sequel to Moon Called and Blood Bound. My original review from last March is here. I have to say I liked it as much this time as I did last time. However, I also found that Iron Kissed is the most disturbing of the series so far, given what happens to Mercy at the climax of the book.

I have to admit, I found myself feeling sorry for Samuel by the end of Iron Kissed, and I hope the author has something nice in mind for him in the future. He's certainly had enough sorrows in his life from what we've seen in the books so far.

As the title suggests, Iron Kissed is the book about the Fae, the way Blood Bound was for the Vampires. We find out a lot more about how they live, the reservations, and their abilities among other things. Also, about the attitudes towards them from the humans who've only recently found out about their existence.

One thing I've found funny about the whole series this time around is Mercy's musings about how useful her history degree is (or isn't). I've had the same thoughts at times too (only Classical and Medieval history), given that I don't use it at all in my job, and the only jobs that come to mind for the degree are things like teaching.

Overall, the whole series is five star, and if you haven't tried them yet, you should.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Great review Elena, I was completely shocked by what happens to Mercy at the end of this one!! I really didn't think that would happen but I thought Patricia Briggs handled it really well. I actually really liked Ben at the end of this book too which is something else I wasn't expecting LOL. I've added your link to my review, sorry it took me so long but I've had some personal issues this last month & ended up really behind replying to my blog comments!

Elena said...

Thanks, Sarah. I know it shocked me, the first time I read the book. You just don't see that kind of thing in fantasy very often.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...