Thursday, July 2, 2009

Incubus Dreams - Laurell K. Hamilton

Incubus Dreams
Laurell K. Hamilton
Berkley Publishing Group
Copyright Date: 2004
0425098243

According to the cover of Incubus Dreams:
As consultant to the Regional Preternatural Crime Investigation Unit, Anita's called in on what appears to be a case involving a serial killer - a vampire serial killer, who may be preying on strippers.

She's sure that none of the local vamps are responsible - but her judgement may be clouded by a conflict of interest. For she is, after all, the consort of Jean-Claude, the ever-intoxicating Master Vampire of the City - something that both her human friends and her ex, the alpha werewolf Richard, are quick to point out.

Surrounded by suspicion, overwhelmed by her attempts to control the primal lusts that continue to wrack her as result of her passionate contacts with vampire, werewolf, and the shapeshifter Micah, Anita is pushed to her limits - and beyond...

Although I first bought and read Incubus Dreams when the book was first released, I hadn't re-read it since, so reading it this time was almost like reading the book for the first time again. I'd chosen to re-read this one now because of Vittorio, the criminal of the book, because of the role he plays in the latest of the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series, Skin Trade. When reading Skin Trade, I'd found that I couldn't remember a thing about his previous appearance.

However, I also found quite quickly, that compared to Skin Trade I could really understand the complaints I've seen in other reviews of the recent books in the series. The crime factor was almost pushed to the background in comparison to the metaphysics and sex, especially the sex. Add to that the loose end of the family that wanted their son raised...

On the other hand, Incubus Dreams sets up some of the situations in later books with Malcolm and his vampires, including The Harlequin, so the lack of resolution in that case is key.

I'm almost certain that the first chapters of the book though were used as a short story in another anthology, although I can't remember the title. I just know that I'd read them before, even when I first read the book.

Incubus Dreams is long - over six hundred pages, and there's plenty going on in the story, and plenty of changes in character interaction. This was the book in which the triumvirate between Anita, Damian and Nathaniel was set up, and quite a bit of the book is the three of them learning to balance out the effects that had. As a result we do see more of Nathaniel and the others. Jason was also absolutely perfect. I guess that stuck in my head because of his role in Blood Noir, another of the books I read recently.

Overall, I'd have to say this wasn't my favorite book in the series, but it was still a good read.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who drew a blank on Vittorio. I had no recollection of him whatsoever, which made him slightly less scary than he could have been, I think. :-)

Elena said...

You're probably right on that. Even re-reading it, I couldn't see too much of a connection between the two books to add to the build up.

Marmee Noir on the other hand...

She was creepy.

Jill said...

Yes, she is very creepy! And I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of her...

Elena said...

If we haven't, that should definitely be interesting, given that her sanctuary was IIRC bombed in the last book.

I don't think we've seen her angry yet...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...