Sunday, June 14, 2009

Site Update

I had the bright idea of trying one of the many custom templates out there for Blogger today. I've wanted to use a 3 column layout for a while, so I spent some time today looking through the sites listed recently in the Blogger Buzz and found a nice one to try.

It didn't work out. The process deleted all of the widgets on my blog (there's really too many of them, but I use them all), screwed up a half dozen other things, and didn't work as all of the features were linked from places like photobucket (which were all over their limits).

I've just spent the last couple of hours reverting to my old template and reconstructing the widgets (or most of them). In the process though, I've removed a couple, so maybe the blog will load a bit quicker now.

Needless to say this was time I could have been spending reading, and I'm not inclined to try changing to a custom layout again any time soon.

Edited to add: I've changed the template again anyway, to another of Blogger's built-in layouts. This time the width is adjustable, so there's less wasted screen-space, and the white background should make the site more readable. On the other hand, I preferred the sans-serif font of the previous template. Oh well, you can't have everything if it's not a custom design.
Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...