Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Book Rambling: Dan Brown and The Lost Symbol

Dan Brown's newest book, The Lost Symbol will be released on September 15th of this year. The book involves the same characters as The Da Vinci Code, which was a long term best-seller. They've got me talking up pre-orders for The Lost Symbol at work now, and here's where I'm completely puzzled.

Given the way that The Da Vinci Code sold (and still sells to a lesser extent), I'd have been prepared to believe that there were lots of people who have been waiting eagerly for the new book to be released.

However, most of the people I mention it to say that they don't like Dan Brown's books (some do so very firmly to say the least!). Today I talked to somewhere between thirty and forty people, and got only four luke-warm responses and one success. I've had similar responses over the past several days as well (with no successes). Statistically, it's not done too accurately, or with a large sample, but my experiences left me wondering. Where are the people who liked his books?

For The Da Vinci Code to have been such a best seller, they have to exist somewhere, so where are they? Ordering from online perhaps, rather than in the stores?

2 comments:

J.T. Oldfield said...

I didn't like the Da Vinci Code, but I know people who did. However, it was kind of a fad. Maybe it's just not as cool any more. Pulp books can be like one-hit wonders. They were the hottest thing all summer a few years back, but by now you've forgotten about them.

Elena said...

I know I read it, and I can't remember a thing about it. I do remember that I preferred Baigent and Leigh's Holy Blood Holy Grail.

Apparently, The Lost Symbol is an online bestseller right now, and with Angels and Demons hitting the theaters, Dan Brown isn't exactly forgotten about.

But still, I'll bet that's some of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...