Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Guide to Old English & A Weird Experience

In this week's It's Monday! What Are You Reading? post, I had a whole lot of Old English books, and last night I had a bit of a weird experience with that. As I'd figured, I'd forgotten more or less everything I'd learned that semester, and to top it off, the book itself wasn't making a whole lot of sense to me. Perhaps that was because of the time though, as it was something like 11P.M.

Anyway, I went digging into some of my other books for help - namely a useful little book on Latin which one of the tutors recommended back when I was taking the class (for the second time, I might add): English Grammar For Students of Latin. Not that it was especially that much help with Old English, although the information I was looking for should have overlapped: namely details on the uses of the noun cases.

On the other hand, the book was clicking with me for once in terms of it's regular use purpose: Latin. Things started making sense, even though I haven't even pulled out the textbook for that which I still have. I actually dug out said textbook and found myself understanding it a bit more (and it's been several years since I looked at it). Perhaps I just remember the Latin classes a bit better, especially given that I had to take First Year Latin twice in order to progress to the second year level.

Either way, I'm rather curious to see if I can attempt to learn the language on my own as it were. I remember that even struggling as I was, I actually enjoyed piecing together the translation passages.

2 comments:

Anassa said...

I need to sit down and relearn what I knew of those languages. I hope you're able to do it. :)

Elena said...

So do I, for at least one of them. Good luck to you too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...