Friday, April 9, 2010

What Would You Recommend - 39 Clues

This is a question I get asked all the time working in the bookstore: "What would you recommend for somebody who loved "_________"? (fill in the blank)" Usually I can come up with something, but that something can be a bit of a wild guess if it's not a book or genre I normally read. This is where you helpful people come in. If you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it.

With the new 39 Clues book, The Emperor's Code by Gordon Korman being newly released, I have to ask what you'd recommend for the kids in buying it now to read next? Some of them may well like Gordon Korman's other books, so I've been pointing them in that direction already. I know that one of his books, No Coins Please has stuck itself in my head for years, ever since I first read it as a kid myself, and leaves me laughing out loud at the situations those kids got themselves into.

It's also safe to guess that books by the other authors in this series are good guesses - especially Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. Beyond that, however, I'm not entirely certain what else to suggest, although I'm thinking that the various spy/thrillers designed for kids might catch their interests: The Young Bond series or the Alex Rider books for example.

What would you suggest?

2 comments:

Adele said...

I don't know this one, but is it weird that I love listening in on these conversations in bookstores?

Elena said...

Not really. I love it when customers join in this sort of conversation. Especially when they have suggestions or agree with a recommendation.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...