Monday, February 22, 2016

Thoughts on the Adult Coloring Book Craze

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0399177531/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0399177531&linkCode=as2&tag=alboup00-20&linkId=HN5Z2JYIL3OFIHDI
I like them, although I've only gotten one so far - the Outlander Coloring Book. I'm thinking of getting another though - with a different type of picture, one that's more abstract. Sometimes I'd just like to play with colours, and the Outlander one calls for too much realism to allow that. By which I mean that I've found myself googling the correct colours to use for this or that aspect of the picture - including common colours for cars as in the first image. I'm a bit picky that way.

I think I've been waiting for this since they had one of those giant colouring posters on the wall in the staff-room where I used to work. I don't think it ever got finished though. Still, I had a great time on my breaks - at least before the pens disappeared. This is the kind of picture I'd like to find for a second book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MKYHMK/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005MKYHMK&linkCode=as2&tag=alboup00-20&linkId=WTJRMTV46E7EBCAO
There's been another variant on the adult colouring book that's been around for decades; the informational one. I've gone through a few of those too, and I'm thinking of getting some of them again as they've disappeared over the years - unfinished. The most notable of these were the Human Evolution Coloring Book and one I had on bird identification. At least for me, these made a great way to learn the subject.

Are you someone who's getting into the coloring book craze? If so, what are your favorites?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...