Monday, June 6, 2011

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? - June 6

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is hosted each week over at One Person's Journey Through A World Of Books. Thanks for the fun, Sheila.

I missed out on doing last week's post, so this week it's a two week post.

In the last two weeks I read:

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. Fiction, fantasy, an omnibus edition of Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegience and Oath of Gold. One of my favourite fantasy novels. Copied from my review:
Watching Paksenarrion grow through her experiences, first with Phelan's mercenary company, and then later on her own is an intriguing experience. There's a gritty reality to all this which I find quite different and enjoy. The mud, blisters and all the little details that the author has included just make the book for me.

Heidi by Johanna Spyri. Fiction, Childrens. This is such a classic story for kids. I enjoyed re-reading it again after so many years. Copied from my review:
Heidi is just as charming now as she was back then in her view on the world, and Peter and his goats...

The Ravens of Falkenau and Other Stories by Jo Graham. Fantasy, Fiction, Short Stories. Copied from my review:
One of the best parts of this was seeing how all the parts fit together - each of the stories is dated and given a little explanation of how it fits into the overall world, which is one of my favourite parts, seeing how each is a piece of the larger story.

What I'm currently reading:

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Fantasy, Fiction. I'm actually enjoying this book a lot, though I'm finding that it's one where it's best to read when you've got uninterrupted stretches of time.

The Man Who Loved China by Simon Winchester. Non fiction.


I have no plans for what I'd like to read next at the moment.

6 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

The Man Who Loved China sounds good! Have a super week!

Jennifer said...

I do so like non-fiction and will be looking into The Man Who Loved China. Enjoy your week and happy reading. My Monday: http://www.rundpinne.com/2011/06/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-42.html

Elena said...

So far, Sheila, it is good. I've only just started it though. You too. Thanks for commenting.

Jennifer, I'll check your week out. Hope you like the Man Who Loved China if you do read it. Thanks for commenting.

redhead said...

Yay for Game of Thrones! can't wait to hear what you think of it!

I finished Kushner's Swordspoint (review hitting tomorrow morning) and then picked up Sheri S Tepper's Raising the Stones.

It might be a "Women in SF/F" month, as I picked up Valente's The Orphan's Tales from the library and there's some Robin Hobb sitting on my book stack, staring at me.

Alaiel Kreuz said...

A Game of Thrones! Great choice!!! Hopefully I'll receive all the books next week, yay!
I'm a new follower :D

This is My Monday.

BTW, I'm hosting two giveaways in my blog and they are international, just click HERE and feel free to enter :D

Hugs,

Alaiel

Elena said...

Thanks, Alaiel. I'm enjoying the book as far into it as I've gotten to date.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...