Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Swan Maiden - Jules Watson

The Swan Maiden
Jules Watson
Bantam
Copyright Date: 2009
978-0553384642

According to the cover of The Swan Maiden:
In this lush, romantic retelling of one of the most enduring Irish legends, acclaimed Celtic historical author Jules Watson reignites the tale of Deirdre—the Irish Helen of Troy—in a story that is at once magical, beautiful, and tragic.

She was born with a blessing and a curse: that she would grow into a woman of extraordinary beauty—and bring ruin to the kingdom of Ulster and its ruler, the wily Conor. Ignoring the pleadings of his druid to expel the infant, King Conor secrets the girl child with a poor couple in his province, where no man can covet her. There, under the tutelage of a shamaness, Deirdre comes of age in nature and magic…. And in the season of her awakening, the king is inexorably drawn to her impossible beauty.

But for Deirdre, her fate as a man’s possession is worse than death. And soon the green-eyed girl, at home in waterfall and woods, finds herself at the side of three rebellious young warriors. Among them is the handsome Naisi. His heart charged with bitterness toward the aging king, and growing in love for the defiant girl, Naisi will lead Deirdre far from Ulster—and into a war of wits, swords, and spirit that will take a lifetime to wage.

Brimming with life and its lusts, here is a soaring tale of enchantment and eternal passions—and of a woman who became legend.

This is a book that I ended up buying because of what I'd read about it on various of the blogs I follow, although I can't now remember the specific blogs that reviewed it. I'm glad I did get it though.

A fascinating fantasy based on an old Irish legend, The Swan Maiden is definitely a good read. Because of the legendary base, you know the story has to follow a certain path to its conclusion, but at the same time I found that I had to keep reading to see how Jules Watson was going to reach that end.

I found the prophecy to be rather reminiscent of Greek myth: Oedipus, Paris etc, where something prophesied occurrs despite the actions taken to avoid it, as though it is the action of avoiding the prophecy that sets it in motion. That, however, seems to be fairly typical of these ancient stories. A warning perhaps?

The setting of the story is iron age Ireland, apparently a few centuries before Christ, but there are, so far as I can tell, not being an expert in Irish ancient history, no real markers to definitively pin a period down.

Jules Watson, the author has created a vivid and realistic (although magical) world which the reader can almost touch, hear and smell. That's one of the things I really liked about the book, the feeling that there was more to the world, and that there were other worlds touching on this one. Every life is interconnected and has it's place.

Aspects of this story reminded me of some of the other ancient-set stories I've enjoyed, such as Epona, written by Morgan Llwellan. Also, of parts of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon. I will definitely admit that I'm rather partial to the mix of history and fantasy to be found here in The Swan Maiden.

On the other hand, there were times when I found the story to be a bit slow moving and I found myself skimming for a few pages. Not enough to mar my enjoyment though.

Next year, there's going to be another myth-set book by Jules Watson, and I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it as well (not to mention the trilogy she's written, which I have yet to read): The Raven Queen. I get the feeling that it is intended as a sequel to this book.

One thing I wonder at, is given how The Swan Maiden is based on Irish legend, if anyone's read the original legend, how does it compare?

10 comments:

Shanra said...

Your final question is annoying the heck out of me right now... Because I know I've read the legend of Deirde before. Several times, actually. (I'm pretty sure there's a version in all of my Irish folklore books.) I just can't recall enough of it to even begin guessing at an aswer. (I still haven't started reading it, alas, which is another reason I can't answer. I'll try and remember to keep comparison in mind when I do and review it, though!)

Elena said...

Let me know when you do pleas. I'm curious to find out, given that it's noted that this is an adaptation, not a true retelling.

Thanks for the comment.

Shanra said...

Oooh. I found an online text! It appears again compiled by various sources, but... Ach, I'll just email my cousin after supper and hope she'll tell me which version best to look for. (Er, she teaches Celtic languages and is set to published a short, Dutch book with Celtic folklore tales in it.)

It's not the answer you were looking for (and I will get back to it eventually. I really should read it, so I think I'll try to tackle it after getting the graphic novels I bought off the list.), but hopefully it gets you a step or two further with the answer even so! ^-^

Elena said...

That is so neat! I'm going to have to check it out in more detail later today.

Jules Watson said...

Hi Elena and friends, author Jules Watson here. I stumbled across your blog accidentally. Thanks for the great review! Thought I'd leave you a post just to answer your questions about the myth as I can't help myself! One of the best renderings of the original (oldest least flowery) version of the myth is the link I provide at the back of The Swan Maiden. http://www.maryjones.us/ctexts/usnech.html (although it does have a lot of the poetry)
As I said, I wasn't attempting to retell it straight, but adapt it to my needs as a novelist. There have been very few novelizations of the tale, which is why I wanted to bring it back to life as a book now. The last full one was a children's book in 1967 (Pollard). Yeats did a poem, Synge did a play and James Stephens did a retelling in 1923. Hope that helps!!

Elena said...

Thanks for stopping in and commenting Mrs. Watson.

It's neat to have the modern history of this myth here now. After reading your version, it's hard to think of this as a children's story.

I'm definitely going to have to check out the various links to the myth.

Shanra said...

*waves* 'ello! Got word back from my cousin now on the books the myth is in. Just in case the information is still wanted/useful. ^-^

She recommends Longes mac n-Uislenn by Vernam Hull, with Ancient Irish tales edited by Cross and Slover as a different option. Unfortunately, both are out of print. (And Cross and Slover is around 600 pages.)

Still haven't read The Swan Maiden, though, so still can't talk about that. ^-~

Elena said...

Thank you. I'll have to check libraries eventually.

Anonymous said...

I got a copy of this after reading various blog reviews as well but haven't yet gotten around to it. Will make a point to put it higher on my list thanks.

Elena said...

It's worth the read. I'm looking forward to reading your review as well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...